Sunday, May 29

Eyelash Update

Well, it's been 3 weeks since I've put my eyelash extensions in... and it shows!

I was forewarned that they fall out faster in the first month... and they have been falling out gradually since day 1. However, because they fall out one by one, it's hardly noticeable. In fact, I didn't really notice it until I looked back at my 'day one' pictures to compare... They looked really full back then (like a really good set of false eyelashes) whereas now they look a little bit more natural.

Because each of the extensions are glued on to your own eyelashes, the first day you have them done you have about 2-3 times the amount of hair on your eyelids. As your natural hairs fall out, so do the extensions, so you are actually losing 2 or 3 'eyelashes' at a time. Now I think I'm down to almost the same amount of eyelashes as my natural ones (maybe slightly more) but because some of them are fake and some are real, the overall effect is that my lashes are still really long, just not as full.

I think I am going to hold out until the sparsity looks unnatural, then go back for my refills.

But, for those of you who haven't had them done but are considering, I'd like to point out a couple of things.

First of all they are not completely painless. Especially the first couple of days, when you shower or wash your face they sting a little. The roots of your eyelashes tend to get a little sore (maybe because of the prodding, maybe because of the extra weight) but it really becomes a bother when you try to wash your face. And in the case of the shower, it's really hard to open your eyes in the shower when the eyelashes are wet because they collect more water than your bare lashes do.

So that brings me to my second point. They are a big bother in the mornings too. When your eyes are irritated while you sleep, they tend to produce some... well, eye boogers. (Is there a technical term for this?) And although this is normal for almost everybody, it's a bit tougher to open your eyes in the morning and clean them out when you have a bunch of fake hair glued on. But for me, this only happened the first couple of days or so.

Now that I have a lot less, I can wash my eyes with no problems, use eye make-up remover on cotton pads, rub my eyes.

But when one of those falsies fall into your eyes!? OUCH!

But I don't want to give the impression that everything is bad... I still very much plan to keep these refills coming. The benefits definitely outweigh the pain. :D (Same with any other beauty procedure I guess) I haven't had to use any mascara, eyeliner, or eyelash curlers. They have kept their shape very well and still curl upwards. And given the fact that I go to the gym 3-4 times a week to do strength training, hip hop classes, and boxing... they've held up really well.